Travel for US Citizens
November 3, 2020 by Brenda Fairfax No Comment
Which countries are welcoming US tourists back?
Once one of the world’s most powerful travel documents, the might of the US passport has shriveled during the Covid-19 pandemic. Many nations continue to view America with trepidation.
It’s worth noting that since the pandemic is ongoing, rules can change at any time. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US State Department provide Covid-19 risk assessments by country. What follows is a partial list of countries, in alphabetical order, where it’s still possible for US passport holders to go for a vacation:
Here are the Travel Level Codes:
1 – COVID-19 Low
2 – COVID-19 Moderate
3 – COVID-19 High Avoid all non-essential travel to this destination
4 – COVID-19 Very High – Avoid all travel to these destinations
Barbados is reducing quarantine requirements for vaccinated travelers to zero to two days. Children under 18 years old traveling with vaccinated parents are also allowed to enter. Vaccinated travelers traveling with unvaccinated companions must quarantine for a week or more if they choose to stay together. Travel Level: 4
Belize Travelers can enter Belize if they test negative before or after arriving; vaccinated visitors need not test though.
British Virgin Islands Starting May 15, travelers can avoid quarantine in the British Virgin Islands for four days if they test negative before and after arriving. They must also provide evidence of an approved vaccine. Travel Level: 1
Grenada Vaccinated travelers will still need to test negative before and after arriving in Grenada and its dependent territories of Carriacou and Petite Martinique. Quarantine periods will be reduced from a week to no more than 48 hours, if they are vaccinated. Travel Level: 1
Hawaii Starting May 11, Hawaii residents can travel between islands without Covid-19 tests or quarantines if they have been vaccinated in Hawaii. The state is expected to loosen entrance requirements for vaccinated travelers from the mainland United States later this summer. Travel Level: N/A
Tahiti, Bora Bora, Mores and other “Islands of Tahiti” Visitors need a compelling reason to visit French Polynesia during the pandemic. Starting May 1 this reason can be for the purposes of tourism if travelers have been in the United States for 30 days before arriving. Travel Level: 3
The European Union bloc Some vaccinated travelers are expected to be welcome into the European Union this summer. Some countries in Europe have separately announced or indicated plan to welcome vaccinated travelers, including:
- Croatia Fully vaccinated travelers can enter without quarantine as can those with negative Covid tests or proof of a past Covid infection. Everyone else can test upon arrival or self-isolate for 10 days. Tourists coming from outside of Europe’s Schengen zone must also show proof of payment for their hotel or accommodation to get into Croatia. Travel Level: 4
- Cyprus From May 10, travelers from most of Europe, the United States, Canada, Russia nd other countries can bypass Covid testing protocols if they have been vaccinated with approved vaccines. Travel Level: 4
- France This month France will begin easing travel restrictions. Travel Level: 4
- Greece: Travelers are welcome that present a negative polymerase chang reaction test or vaccination certificate upon arrival. Only residents of Europe, the United States, the United Kingdom, Israel, Serbia, United Arab Emirates, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Thailand, Rwanda, Singapore and Russia can enter without isolating. Russian travelers are also required to test negative to enter, even if they are vaccinated. Travel Level: 4
- Iceland: Vaccinated travelers and Covid recoveries can avoid quarantines if they pass a Covid test upon arrival. Travel Level: 3
- Israel Plans to welcome a limited number of vaccinated tourists groups in May – and to vaccinated individual travelers by July – could be in a flux due to a recommendation to delay reopening plans by Israel’s Health Ministry soon. Travel Level: 3